Mold that grows indoors often starts small, but it does not take long for the fungi to spread and grow. Patches of mold proliferate by releasing spores into the air, which then latch on to moist surfaces and begin growing. The spores mold releases have a telltale musty scent, and when inhaled by people can cause nasty health effects such as nasal congestion, eye irritation, difficult breathing, coughing, headaches, and even death. Because of this, homeowners are advised to have their homes thoroughly cleaned the moment they suspect that their residences harbor mold growth.
Mold remediation is best handled by experienced contractors that have the equipment to properly clean out mold growth without jeopardizing anybody’s health. The first step in any mold remediation process is to stop the source of moisture that is causing the fungi’s growth. Mold often breeds in dark and damp spots of a home where there is little ventilation, so it is imperative to first cut off the source of the moisture to prohibit the fungi’s spread.
Contractors that offer mold remediation services have several ways to clear out patches of mold growth. One method is dry brushing or sanding off the mold from the wall or ceiling, while another method uses dry ice. Yet another approach involves vacuum cleaners, which is usually the safest option as it does not disturb the delicate mold spores which could be released into the air. Those cleaning out mold should wear the appropriate safety equipment to prevent inhaling spores.