For many homeowners, especially first-time ones, mold presents an aesthetic issue. After all, patches of mold growing in basements, kitchens, and attic spaces are unsightly. What homeowners have to remember, though, is that the presence of mold is more than just a matter of appearance.
Prolonged exposure to mold can present a variety of health risks, especially among children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems. As such, any mold found in your home should be eliminated by professional mold removal specialists ASAP. Otherwise, you risk developing the following health problems:
Allergic Rhinitis and Asthma
Mold spores are an allergen that can easily cause allergic rhinitis to flare up; for others, spores can act as a trigger for asthma attacks. Normally, there aren’t enough spores in the air to trigger allergies or asthma. Unfortunately, mold growth in an enclosed space can significantly increase the amount of spores floating in the air.